If you’re a guy and have been recently plagued by issues like razor burns or dry skin, here’s a quick guide from OROGOLD Cosmetics that can help you to brush up on your skin care routine and ensure that you’re doing the right things to take care of your skin. As the world becomes more and more cosmopolitan, men have become increasingly conscious about their skin. So, apart from giving your sports team your dire attention, you also need to deal with your facial skin. And if you actually wish to look good, you really need to pay attention to your skin.
According to Mathew Avram, an MD at the Massachusetts General Hospital, men need to make skin care an important part of their everyday routine if they want to ensure healthy looking and youthful skin. It is common knowledge that things like smoking and unprotected sun exposure are the main enemies of your skin because both lead to wrinkles and sun damage. However, not using skin care products properly can also lead to a lot of skin damage because you’re not offering your skin a proper chance to repair and rejuvenate itself. Browsing through this OROGOLD guide to skin care for men can help you learn what to change about your skin care routines and how to ensure that you look better.
Choosing the right skin care products
Here are a few tips on the things to look at while choosing your skin care products.
- Avoid buying harsh soaps for your skin. Always use ones that are mild and gentle and don’t contain harmful ingredients.
- Never cleanse your face with a body soap or body wash. Make sure that you use proper facial cleansers for cleansing your facial skin.
- If you suffer from dry skin, make sure that you apply a light moisturizer during the day and a rich night cream at night.
- Apply a broad spectrum SPF 30 moisturizer every single day. Re-apply after every 2 hours of sun exposure.
- Use heavier moisturizers during the winter months to counteract the damage caused by the chilly conditions.
Daily habits to change
Did you know that changing a few simple habits can go a long way in improving the way your skin looks?
- Avoid taking hot showers and take a bath with lukewarm water instead. This ensures that your skin doesn’t lose its natural moisture.
- Exercise for at least 30 minutes every day. Sweating allows you to get rid of your toxins and helps your skin to glow.
- Moisturize your hands after you wash them.
- Apply the moisturizers after your shower, while the skin is still damp.
- Pat your skin dry and don’t rub with a towel while drying yourself.
- Limit the shower time to a maximum of 10 minutes.
Tips on taking care of your skin while shaving
One of the biggest concerns for the male skin is the constant shaving. Shaving leads to issues like ingrown hairs, nicks and dry skin and these issues can make you look really bad, if left untreated.
- Shave using warm water. It also helps to place a towel dipped in hot water on your face for a few minutes before shaving.
- Alternatively, you can make use of a pre-shave facial serum to prepare your skin for the perfect shave.
- Gently massage the shaving cream on your skin.
- Never use anything but a single edge razor because this prevents ingrown hairs and ensures that you don’t shave too close to the skin.
- Shave in a single direction. Changing the direction usually leads to ingrown hairs. It is equally important to shave in the direction of your hair growth.
- Wash the skin after shaving and pat it dry. Make sure that you don’t rub it with a towel.
- Apply an aftershave moisturizing cream after you shave to protect the skin and make it look smoother.
Controlling acne issues
- Exfoliate your skin regularly (2 – 3 times a week) to get rid of the dead skin buildup from the outermost layer of your skin and to unclog your pores. Things like using a deep peel once every week can work wonders for your skin.
- Use ingredients like alpha hydroxy acids, salicylic acid, retinol and tea-tree oil because they’re really effective when it comes to dealing with acne.
- Use non-comodogenic moisturizers to ensure that they doesn’t clog your pores.
- Use sunscreens every single day to combat the side effects of increased sun sensitivity and peeling.